Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Holiday Hurry - Help!

This time of year is like the "burn" phase of a workout. "Okay, you can do it! Just one more rep...and one more!..and one more once..." So, rather than excuse myself for not blogging in a while, I'm going to pat myself on the figurative back (my real back is too sore) that I'm still breathing.
In addition to the end-of-the-year work stuff, and the holiday stuff (and yes, I do all the traditional present-buying and card writing and a little baking), here is my recent to-do list related to diabetes:

1. Place mail-order insulin order - first, ask doctor for new prescription; then get message from pharmacy saying "my order is in process, there's nothing I need to do" (a.k.a., "there's nothing you can do about it!); then wonder which order they mean of the three prescriptions I've ordered recently; then tap my finger on my desk wondering when the "overnight" insulin will arrive, and if, like last time, it will arrive a) overnight and freeze; b) arrive while I'm away for Christmas; b) not arrive at all. At least insulin is available without a prescription at regular pharmacies (for a price), if need be.

2. Figure out where, besides my abdomen, my insulin pump will now deliver insulin, because after 15 years of injections all over my body, but more in my abdomen toward the end, and 10 years of pumping mostly into my abdomen (pregnancy notwithstanding), I've suddenly hit a wall, where I absolutely could not find a place in my abdomen where the needle would go in smoothly (or at all), without excruciating pain, and without stopping delivery in the dramatic, incessantly beeping way that pumps have of getting attention.

3. Realize that the new infusion sets I ordered a couple of months ago, when I started having trouble with my abdomen, have the wrong length catheter - 23 inches instead of 43. Get caught in a "it's not my fault" loop between my pharmacy (which is connected with my insurance) and my doctor's office, with the result that I'm out $90 and have to wait 2 to 3 weeks to get the correct infusion sets - i.e., right during Christmas. Now, you might think, it couldn't possibly be that bad - can't I get these any sooner, say, at a local pharmacy? Nope. I went through this during pregnancy, when I had to try my legs, butt, arms, etc. and needed different types of infusion sets for each site. Regular pharmacies don't carry pump supplies at all. Even the manufacturer can't send supplies any sooner than two weeks. I got four sets directly from my doctor; the nurse said "this will last 12 days, right? I said all going well; but it hardly ever goes well! (see below). Besides, 12 days is not two weeks, even at a normal time of year.

4. Wonder how I might fare if I have to go back to injections over the Christmas week, without any access to my doctor for advice (I'd have access to a doctor, just not my own). It's been 10 years since I've injected (except for occasional short-term regular-insulin shots when my pump goes temporarily out of whack). I think I should contact my doctor now to get advice, just in case.

5. Curse thoroughly (and hope my daughter doesn't hear) as I try to get one of the four precious 43-in infusion sets into my arm, using a device that's really made for use with two hands (duh!). Then try to keep it in as I place Tegaderm on the tiny sides of the infusion set so it doesn't pull out (with one hand, remember). With the first new infusion set a few days ago (a Quickset for the Minimed paradigm pump, for any diabetic pumpers out there), I didn't get the needle in right and got the "no delivery" beep from my pump, and had to redo it. With the second set, I got it in, only to realize the Tegaderm was downstairs; when I put my shirt sleeve ever so gently over my arm, the infusion set plumb fell out! One more time (late for work and daughter yelling for me, of course). At least I can use the infusion needles from the 23-in catheter sets, so I still have two 43-in sets left. I want to call the pump manufacturer and tell them these sets need improvement, but it won't help me for now. Oh, and I already tried my legs and "hip" - no good at either site, with either my usual Silhouette) or Quickset infusion set. Also, my daughter keeps grabbing my arm right at the infusion site as I pick her up, which is painful and also risks pulling it out. I'm just biding my time til I can start using the abdomen again!

6. I do want to praise all the helpful folks along the way in sending my Christmas presents: The online retailers who provide free, fast shipping and actually deliver! The mail room folks at work who let us send personal packages; even the USPS and UPS folks who've figured out to put their mailing labels on top of tape, so you can quickly remove it and put your own label on a box. All these little things really, really matter to a diabetic working mom who's about had it by the time I even get to the point of dealing with presents.

1 comment:

  1. Check out www.orbit90.com
    I believe these sets can help with some of the issues. Such as the adhesive. The tubing length from 18" to 42". It even has blue tubing so you can see air bubbles easier.
    The Orbit 90 has teflon cannula 6 or 9 mm
    The Orbit Micro has steel cannula 5.5 or 8.5 mm

    ReplyDelete