Friday, November 20, 2009

Star Power

I'm still in the midst of a several-weeks-long cold bout; actually, back-to-back colds. I've gotten used to the constant coughing, to the point where I'm surprised when I get funny looks from people, until I remember everyone is afraid of H1N1, and anyone who's coughing seems suspect to them. Oh, well. I'm checking my own temp periodically, so I know it's just a cold. I tell this to the people I like.

I just wanted to make a note of my new hero: Ray Allen, of the Boston Celtics. I heard him yesterday on the radio, talking about his kid who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last year, at the tender age of 31 months. He said he just had to speak out and try to spread the word about what diabetes is, because he knows most people don't pay much attention to it. He pointed out that the symptoms of type 1 diabetes can mimic the flu - so it could go undiagnosed especially during this season of so many flus - and that kids, even today, do die from diabetes because it isn't diagnosed in time. I just wanted to shout out my car window, "He's right! Listen to him!"

I thought about when I developed diabetes, what it felt like. First it was a couple of months of unusual thirst and weight loss, which at first I didn't mind, being a pre-teen. We travelled to the South, and I thought my extreme thirst was because of the heat, and all the bathroom trips because of my thirst. But then it was exactly like the flu - that's what we thought it was, my family and I, even though it was the middle of the summer. It was just so exactly like the flu: throwing up, loss of appetite, aches. Somehow, I ended up drinking a lot of sweet drinks, like Cool Aide (though I don't recall my mom ever serving that any other time). It was the only think that tasted right, even though, of course, it was the worst thing I could consume at that point, unbeknownst to me. The thirst at that point just seemed like a result of dehydration due to the throwing up. It wasn't until I had trouble breathing that I went to the doctor - who, fortunately, took one look at me and tested my blood sugar. It was around 700; the doctor said I was close to diabetic coma. And I was one of the lucky ones. My mother has always felt guilty about this - but I always think, how could she possibly have known? No one in my family has type 1 diabetes - not even in the very extended family.

I read recently about a child who died because she had flulike symptoms, and her mom called the doctors office, and was told to call back if the child didn't get better in a couple of days. It turned out to be - duh - diabetes.

I wouldn't want to panic mothers who are already freaked out whenever their kids get sick - like I do - but I would want to tell people, if your kid seems to have the flu, pay attention if he or she is also really, really thirsty and/or peeing a lot. I recall being sick at other times, and my mom had to force me to take fluids; but with diabetes, I was begging for it. Also pay attention if your kid is not fluish but peeing a lot or really thirsty, or losing weight for no obvious reason, because that's the earlier stage (I lost 10 pounds in two months, then another 10 pounds in about two weeks, during the "flu" part). And if your doctor (or your doctor's office personnel) tells you not to worry, mention diabetes by name, and follow your instincts.

I guess just knowing about diabetes is the main problem; most people think of type 2 diabetes, which has such different symptoms (and treatments) from type 1 that I often bemoan they are called the same name. But I can preach all I want - I doubt anyone who doesn't already know a little about diabetes is reading this. So it comes back to praising Ray Allen - because ordinary people who've never paid much attention to diabetes will actually listen to him.

By the way, if you'd like to comment on this or any other post, click on the word "Comment" right below the post. This blogspot site has a lot going for it, but that part of the layout ain't one of them. I'd love to hear from you. What do you think of stars like Ray Allen who pitch for us "little" folks (little as in not famous; not little as in having "juvenile" diabetes)? Did you have problems getting your diabetes or your kid's diabetes diagnosed? What would you tell people about it if you had the chance?

No comments:

Post a Comment