Sunday, November 1, 2009

Viral Vibes

Viruses come in billions of forms. Both my computer and I have been fighting off viruses this week. My husband's computer's power cord is on the fritz, too - so I don't know if this post will ever make it up!

Fortunately, my own personal virus is just a cold. Ah, daycare. At least my daughter is in family care, so there are only 5 other kids for her to exchange slobbery germs with. Still, as any parent knows, those kid germs move faster than anyone else's.

I haven't noticed my blood sugar being much affected by this cold, but stress seems to have been doing a good number on my numbers. Work is stressful these days - but I should be thankful to have work, right? But work could take up all my waking thoughts quite easily (you don't want to hear about that).

So could my daughter's changing moods and thoughts. She's going through what I think is standard for her age: high drama. I wouldn't call it the terrible twos, because much of the time it's positive. All her stuffed animals have come to life in her head, in just the past couple of weeks, it seems. Of course, she likes to have help animating them, and the scenarios tend to be rather repetitive (rather). But she gets the biggest kick out of the little girl mouse popping out the doors of her castle (made for other dolls) and saying "boo!" I mean, she giggles hysterically every time; then she says "do it again!" Yes, when I try to suggest a different game, sometimes a small fit ensues; but she can actually be persuaded most times. Is that common for a 25-month-old?

Yet when trouble comes up, it's Big Trouble: At daycare last week, after a too-short nap, when she saw a little boy (really the sweetest boy) sitting in the chair she often sits in to "read," she screamed and grabbed and tried to pull him out of the chair -- apparently by the neck. I know this sort of thing is common at this age; at least it wasn't hitting or biting). Both I and her daycare provider (Kim) talked to her about not hurting others, and Kim helpfully looked up ways to handle this stage, as she hasn't had any other girls this age before (she was a preschool teacher for a long time). Apparently, having her own special spot can help H head off such emotional collisions. She can go to it when she's had enough of cooperating and sharing. I just feel bad that I can't see the problem first-hand, it would be easier to figure out how to help. But we don't see this at home; she's the queen bee in her nest of toys.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get her the H1N1 shot (aren't most of us still?). Actually, I've been hearing that other states are doing clinics, whereas our pediatrician can't seem to get more than a handful of doses each week, and those are either snatched up before I can take a breath in the morning or are earmarked for the "high risk" kids. Because H is one month past her second birthday, she doesn't officially fit that category; but as her pediatrician admitted, viruses don't pay attention to such artificial cut-offs. So here we are. And of course, I am in the high-risk category, but adults can't get any H1N1 vaccine yet, at least in Massachusetts. I just want to get this done so I can stop searching for the vaccine every day, and stop worrying. So add that to the stress list.

But enough about viruses. I am looking forward to getting a continuous glucose monitor that syncs with my insulin pump (it'll tell the pump my blood sugar readings when I go to enter insulin), now that my insurance will cover it (the insertion sets, which must be changed every few days, will be expensive, though). I've had experience with a CGM before - during pregnancy - and I know it'll be incredibly helpful (particularly for that black box that is the night time). I hope it will be better than the previous generation of CGMs. I used a different brand during pregnancy, one that didn't sync with my pump. I don't want to name it because I think that brand has come a long way, too, from what I hear. But it would beep in the middle of the night a lot to signal a low when I wasn't low; though it always beeped when I really was low. I hear that with this new monitor, if you sync it with your finger-stick tests at the right times of day, it's really accurate, so you only have to do maybe two finger sticks each day. My calloused fingers would love that - though I've been thinking of taking advantage of those callouses by taking up Celtic harp playing (no kidding!).

I'm curious what you other moms out there are experiencing with this H1N1 thing. Are you as worried as I am? I'm also curious if any other type 1s have experience with the current-generation CGM from Medtronic.

No comments:

Post a Comment