Saturday, May 15, 2010

My diabetes snapshots

I've actually never posted pictures, apart from my homepage shot - in part, because I don't want pictures of my kid's face on the web. She gets to choose what she wants the world to see later, when she's a viable decision-maker (or at least until she figures out how to do it herself). Also, I'm still pretty new to this blog thing. But photos are the theme of the day for Diabetes Blog Week.

I chose the thing that goes with me virtually everywhere. No, not my pump; that goes with me absolutely everywhere, except the shower. It's my purse, a.k.a. the Sedan Bag (I'm dating myself; I should call it my SUV bag - or perhaps my stretch Hummer!). It holds everything I might need in a pinch - which, having both diabetes and a kid, is a lot of stuff.

(Hey, that was easy!) Here's the list of what's pictured, counterclockwise from left (because I'm a lefty):
Wallet
Bllue insulated bag with insulin pump supplies, insulin, etc. (it's one of those juice-cooler bags)
nasal decongestant (for the monthly cold I get, having a kid in daycare)
glucagon
two tubes of glucose tabs
meter
paper address book (b/c a while back I lost both my contacts and my computer at once!)
three pairs of glasses (sun, reading, distance - I'm not old enough for this! I think it is because of the diabetes)H's hair bands
toy sheep (because you never know when you might need one)
cell charger
keys
kid's book (Time for Bed; most kids' books are about getting the little blighters - er, cuties - to sleep)hand sanitizer
lotion
chapstick
lip gloss (I have to feel feminine some of the time!)
checkbook (oh, yes, there's a lot to pay for!)

I left out a bunch of bills waiting to be paid. (I love online banking, but not everyone is on board with that yet.) I also left out the phone I used to take the picture - probably the heaviest single item!

The last time I had a massage (one of my few spurges), the masseuse said my back is lopsided - higher on one side than the other. Gee, I wonder why? But I can't find a way to lighten my load. I actually get a little panicy when I'm without all this stuff for a while. Even before having a kid, I was this way - ever since getting diabetes at age 13.

How do you carry your supplies? Purse? Man bag? Car? Desk (not on your back)? Not at all? I hope someone's got a better handle on this than I do!

Okay, I can't resist - still not her face, and not the best shot, but you can see my little ballerina is just thinking about her next fancy move! She's the reason I keep trying.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of stuff!! I'd be willing to bet my back is lopsided too, because I carry just about as much (minus the toys). I remember when I went for my pump training - the trainer looked at my purse and said laughingly "you are going to need a bigger purse than that now". Yup, she was right.

    ReplyDelete